Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My iguana is coughing. She's been doing it several times now

my iguana is coughing. She's been doing it several times now in a row.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the iguana's name and age?
Customer: Lulu and she is about 5 yrs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: Her habitat is open and the air has been dryer than normal

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the habitat?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Any nasal discharge?

Any wheezing?

Joan

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Open habitat. UVB light, compact coil, bought within the month. heat lamp is about 12-18 inches above her. I keep our heater in the house at 73 degrees. She eats greens..collard, mustard, kale, chard. Some shredded veggies like carrors, sweet potatoes etc., a little fruit, not daily. a little bread, rice or quinoa, again not daily. Water is a drinking fountain. No supplements. Occasionally I will give her yogurt. No nasal discharge or wheezing. She had muscous strings when I opened her mouth, so I figured a little dehydrated. I've been spraying her several times a day. The mucous is gone now, but I think that is why she was coughing, to clear it out. Does this help?

We need to gt her in a warm soak to make sure she is well hydrated. Iggys can have a saok daily and it is good for them. If you suspect this is a lack of humidity, I would get an auto muster or fogger in the enclosure. This will help with hydration.

When there is a cough I get concernened about a Respiratory issue, so a close watch to see if this continues a Herp Vet visit will be needed.

If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate some Herp Vets for you.

This is a situation is one that has to be monitored since a Respiratory infection can blow up quickly and will require an Antibiotic. Please let me know if you need a list of Herp Vets.

Joan

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you I will do the soaking and watch her closely. We do have a vet for her. I just didn't know if it was something I needed to be concerned about. You've been very helpful. Thank you.

You are welcome! If I have addressed your coners, Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan