Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have 4 sugar gliders, one intact male at 6 months and

I have 4 sugar gliders, one intact male at 6 months and three females. This morning I found the male on top of one of the females
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sugar gliders
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: I think they were mating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?
Customer: Can i have three pregnant females with one male sugar glider in same cage
JA: We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: I dont think so
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
What do I do in case all three females end up pregnant?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Veterinarian Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small animal health.In nature, one dominant male sugar glider will often mate with most of the females in a colony. Colonies are not huge- up to around a dozen gliders. Your male may well end up imprefnating all the females. Since they naturally live in colonies, they will probably continue to get along. The male assists with care of the babies as they get older, so it is best to leave him with the females.There are sone other concerns. It is healthiest for the females if they don't breed until they are a year old. If left to their own devices, they will produce litter after litter, and that, too, has a bad effect on female health. You are also likely to end up with an overpopulation if sugar gliders unless you have a ready market for the young. If you got the gliders with the intention to breed them, the following site has several pages of information on breeding:http://eternalniche.wikidot.com/system:sugar-glider-breedingIf you intended tge gliders to be pets, you may want to consider having an exotic animal vet neuter the male. The gliders will remain bonded, but you won't have to worry about reproduction.Regardless of your purpose with your gliders, the answer to your original question is that it should be fine to leave all four of them together. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope all will go well.Anna
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Should I separate the joeys? I am having the male fixed on oct 9th
The joeys shoukd be left together and with their parents until they are ten weeks old. Males can be sexually mature as young as 12 weeks, so you'll definitely want to separate young males from all females - including their mother- by then. It's fine to leave the females with their mother longer than that, but only if your male has been neutered by then. As far as handling the joeys, you can start doing that as soon as they leave the best.If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I wish you success with the little ones.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna