Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My son has a pet mouse :) in the last day or two it is

My son has a...

My son has a pet mouse :) in the last day or two it is acting odd like it has a balance problem and seems to not be ok. It is not walking normal, and acting like it is dizzy or off balance. i don't know if it has an ear infection or had a stroke. Should I take it to the vet? anything I can do to make it happier ? I don't want it to suffer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

It is a mouse

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, I did not see anything like that

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the mouse's name and age?

The mouse is less than a year old. its name is fuzzball :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the mouse's name?

My son calls it fuzzball

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the mouse?

It is possible that it was dehydrated...I never noticed it drinking a lot,

9/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what Fuzzball is doing? How old is he?

it is a young mouse, only a few months (I think). I don't have a video at this time. however, the mouse is not walking normally, it is acting like it is off balance, having a hard time walking, and isn't running on its wheel like normal.

This does sound like it may be an inner ear infection and an examination and course of antibiotics would be worthwhile. Do you already have a vet who sees your pocket pets?

there is a vet clinic where I take my dog, but I don't know if they see small pets like mice. I could ask. do you have a vet recommendation for zip code 95062? Do you think it is worth taking the mouse in?

Let me take a quick look. Give me about 5 minutes, I'll be right back.

I do think it's worth taking him in. He's young, by the sounds of it, and these usually respond well to therapy. I don't think this is necessarily a life-threatening concern so long as it's treated promptly. If he were my mouse, we'd go to the vet.

Here you go! I have found two in the area that see pocket pets.

1) http://soquelvet.com
2) http://www.santacruzpet.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse