Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My bunny died in my arms yesterday...He was so beautiful and…

Hello, so my bunny died...
Hello, so my bunny died in my arms yesterday...He was so beautiful and lovely and lively. He was a house bunny and had him for almost a year; he seemed very happy, very affectionate and very playful. I had to travel a lot for work this summer so he spent two months with my grandparents. I begged them to take care of him. They didn't; they fed him poorly, I think, and didn't keep him in the house. I came to see him three days ago. He seemed okay, lively, but a little quiter. As I was petting him, a little blood came out of his mouth. Just a little. I panicked like crazy and called a vet; he gave him a 'vitamin injection'. He slumped a little but then went back to his normal self. The vet called me the next day and I travelled with my bunny in his travel-cage (but still, a cage :(). He gave him an injection again and he super slumped. He kept leaning his head on me and I started crying and asked the doctor if he was alright. The doctor said that he was fine, just panicked. He took his temperature and told me he was alright, I just had to give him vitamins (he sold me a lot of them). My grandparents live in another city, I was extremely worried so I took the first train to my town, which is the capital, better docs etc. Problem is, I didn't have enough money to take another cab to the train station and I had to walk almost an hour with my baby in that cage. He was slumped, I kept carressing him during the train ride, he was slightly hopping. He seemed a little energetic but by the time I got home (an hour ride) he seemed all slumped again. I noticed his breathing was heavy, I panicked again and brought him to another vet. She was very nice, she checked him, she said that he probably had hemorrhagic disease, he got a virus from being outside, but we could give him a treatment, but she was scared of an internal hemorrhagic attack, he gave him two injections (I couldn't understand what they were, I was crying, but he got bloated) and she told me to come back the next day or in a few hours if it got worse. My baby couldn't move his paws, he was slipping...I got into an uber and I was carressing him...He tried to move to a comfortable position, I think, but couldn't...Then he started spasming abd I yelled to the driver to turn around and he was making choking sounds and in a couple of seconds he stopped breathing...I've been crying since then and I can't eat anything and I can't stop blaming myself and I just want to know it he was in pain, or in how much pain he was...If you have any idea, please tell me. Love, T
9/20/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

I`m sorry to hear about your recent loss, it sounds like you have had a horrible time recently.

I do agree with your vet, the signs you are describing could well be due to Viral Hemorrhagic Disease. This can be fatal very rapidly with a fast onset of signs. Patients can become very anemic from chronic blood loss leading to them feeling very weak.

Please do not assume the noises he made were due to pain. Animals can make distressing sounds as they are passing, but it does not necessarily indicate pain. If he did indeed have VHD, then he is likely to have felt very weak, profoundly tired and sleepy rather than in pain.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling