Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

About 3 days ago I took my dog to get her rabies vaccine.

after a couple hours I...
about 3 days ago I took my dog to get her rabies vaccine. after a couple hours I noticed she was having an allergic reaction. she started swelling in her face and broke out into hives. I called my vet and they said to give her Benadryl. So I did. The swelling and hives went away and now she is doing much better. however I have noiticed that for some reason her ribs on her right side are looking uneven. as I pet her right side everything seems normal until I get to around her last four ribs. its almost like they are sticking out just a tiny bit. she doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch the area or even apply a lot of pressure. Im just extremely concerned because I have read that some vaccine can cause tumor in dogs. especially around the area where the vaccine was giving. is there any idea of what it might be?
9/19/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation. I am working on a response now.
I am glad that you are past the rabies reaction and everything seems to be going well. In the future you will probably need to have her premedicated to prevent another reaction.As far as the swelling, I would not worry that it is a vaccine related tumor. First of all, it is too early for anything like that to happen and second vaccines have become much safer, depending on what your vet is using, and we very rarely see vaccine sarcomas in dogs. Not that it can't happen but I would definitely not be concerned about that at this time. Also, that would be a strange location for the vaccine to have been given. Typically lots of vets will administer a vaccine over the right shoulder or between the shoulder blades or right rear hip.
Now some pets will develop a small growth at the vaccine site a few days after a vaccine and it is typically a granuloma; just an area of inflammatory tissue that forms from having something unusual injected under the skin. This usually resolves within a month or so.So as far as the ribs. The main thing that I can think of is that some dogs have a more prominent floating last 1-2 ribs. Some will stick out quite far and as they age some dogs will start to develop a bit of a fat pad over the rib and makes it more prominent. Just saw a client the other day that brought her pet in for that very thing. In addition, depending upon her age, dogs can develop other types of skin masses including fatty masses that can develop around or on the rib cage.
Best plan of action is to have it examined if it is not resolving or seems to be getting larger.
It is good that she is not painful.
Continue to monitor her for the next few days to a week, as long as everything else is completely normal. If the lesion increases in size or changes in anyway, please have her examined.
Finally, if you are happy with the information provided and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.
Even after you complete the rating we can continue our conversation for about a week.Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Okay awesome thank you for the response! I already scheduled a vet check up for tomorrow. Also I was just examining the area again and when I when I pinch the skin together and move my fingers around I can feel something on the outside of ribs but behind the skin. It feels like fat but at the same time its only in that area. When I try doing the same thing to her other side or other ribs I can't feel anything. She's a pitbull mix and she's just about to turn 2. She is also very fit.
That sounds like a good idea! You will feel much better by taking her in. If need be, they can do a fine needle aspirate which is very painless to test the area of concern. Keep me posted. Would love to hear how things go.
Have a good day!
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Hello! So I took her into the vet and they actually think that instead of a lump that theres an indentation right before the suspected "lump". They said they believe that she is missing a layer of fat possibly from some sort of trauma because she is a rescue. I'm keeping a very close eye on the area just to make sure nothing changes because I've had her for 2 years now and never seemed to notice it. However the vet said they don't think they would've picked up on it either. Anyway thanks for the help!

Wow. Thanks for the update. That is very unusual. Sounds like everything is okay though and that is the most important thing!

Well take care and have a good evening.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian