Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My son's hamster was acting sick and I checked and he is out…

Customer Question
My son's hamster was...

My son's hamster was acting sick and I checked and he is out of water. He must be severely dehydrated but too weak to drink. Giving him drops of Gatorade and water with a syringe but he is not interested. Have a heat lamp on him. His body is cold. Sleeping or dying. Might be too late to save him. Anything else I can do? So sad.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your son's hamster?

He is only about 6 months old. Super active last night. Not sure how long he was out of water.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
9/18/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to hear that this is happening. It may be that his blood glucose is also too low to give him the desire to drink. A vet visit would be the wisest approach at this point, but I do believe there's a very strong risk that this little guy will pass since his body temp is so low.

I would urge you to mix 1:2 dilution of sugar to water. So, 1 tsp of sugar in 2 tsp of warm water. Mix and give 1-2 drops orally every 5 minutes for 15 minutes. This should bring his blood glucose up so that he has the desire and ability to drink. From there, try to supplement water and not gatorade. Once he's drinking well, you can begin giving electrolyte fluid.

Start with this and keep me posted on your progress. I'll be around for the next few hours and we can chat back and forth about his condition.

Checking in. How has your son's hamster fared?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy