Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

One of our rabbits has been having a runny bottom for the…

Customer Question
Hi, one of our...

Hi, one of our rabbits has been having a runny bottom for the last couple of weeks and she seems to be losing fur around her bottom so we're trying to figure out what's happening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Priscilla?

She's been spayed but other than that she's been completely healthy, this is the only really major thing that's been wrong with her since we bought her

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
9/15/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Priscilla has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Where a rabbit has chronic diarrhoea it is often due to infections caused by intestinal parasites such as coccidia. Your vet will be able to confirm the diagnosis by checking out a faecal sample, if this is the diagnosis then usually it can be cleared up with prescription drugs such as Albon or Tribrissen.

2. In such cases the hair loss is usually caused by scalding from the diarrhoea.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.