Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

She had a night of vomiting now she's dry heaving and breath

She had a night of vomiting now she's dry heaving and breath very sweet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing except a piece of bologna on the night she threw up a lot now she seems congested in her breathing and sickly sweet breath
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe and she's 5 we did just put her brother down last week
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: That's it

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Have you noticed any change in her thirst recently? Does her breath smell like pear drops?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope so I'm very worried about her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just had a very sweet smell not sure what it smells like pls tell me it's not parvo

I doubt it is parvo in a dog of her age. However a sickly sweet smell to her breath can be an indicator of diabetes. Have you noticed any change in her thirst recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Novexcept she's very lethargic and not her usual playful self could putting her brother to sleep has this affect
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's a shepherd rodeshian ridgeback mix
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is her

It sounds like she may have a bout of gastro-enteritis and it could well be a result of stress.

Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid can help settle the vomiting.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 100lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~100mg 2-3 times daily.

If she is showing no further signs of vomiting over a 12 hour period, I would advise feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese. This can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
You should be seeing an improvement over the next few days. At that point, you can start to re-introduce her normal food.

If she continues to vomit over the next 24 hours especially if she is not keeping water down, I would recommend having her checked over by your vet, as the sickly sweet smell to her breath could be an indicator of diabetes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I gave her zofran and I have prescription ranitidine here will give her that now

What dose of zofran have you given so far? What is the strength of ranitidine that you have there? Can you give me an idea of her weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The zofran is 4mg she's about 65 pds ranitidine 150 I can split in half I've given her 3 doses of zofran in 3 days

How long has she been vomiting for now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She stopped vomiting fluid a day ago now it's dry heaving especially at night time like now

How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's been sick 3 days only threw up for one now just gagging or dry heaving

Does she seem any brighter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's definitely better still dry heaving a little and sticking very close I think it's separation anxiety fr losing her brother

Is she eating and drinking now?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she's getting much better she's still very much attached to my hip but I don't mind she's a very sweet girl

She looks like quite a character!

I`m glad she seems to be on the mend.

If I can be of any further help, please don`t hesitate to ask.

Richard.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will ty so much