Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My goldfish has been acting lethargic the last few days

Customer Question

my goldfish has been acting lethargic the last few days sitting at the bottom of the tank and breathing kind of fast
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your goldfish. What is the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: he's the biggest so we call him big guy, he's about 2 or 3 years now
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Big?
Customer: the last few months I've gone through endless problems with the fish and tank for multiple reasons, all 3 fish were sick at one point with different things. saw a fish vet and got them back to healthy and the tank got re-cycled with all new equipment and things have been fine they have been in their new 60 gallon tank for a few weeks now but I've been noticing big guy acting funny for maybe two or three days now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish well over 40 years.

Can you tell me have you checked the water paramteres?

What type of test kid used?

How many fish in the tank?

What is the readings for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?

Do you have filtration?

How much water do you change during water changes?

Have you recently vaccuumed the gravel?

Joan