Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a very sick goldfish. It has bladder dysfunction and

Customer Question

I have a very sick goldfish. It has bladder dysfunction and is all swelled up. It is lying at the bottom of the aquarium for days now! I have already contacted the fish Vet recently. She recommended bringing the water to a low level and not feeding the fish cooked peas for three days. No luck!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goldfish's name?
Customer: Mr. Fisher is his name.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the goldfish?
Customer: I tried the 3 TBS.of salt in a tank with one gallon of water about 15 minutes and then back to a recovery tank with less salt. No Luck!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear your goldfish is having this problem.This sounds like something more than a normal swim bladder disorder. Are there any scales sticking up, giving him a pine cone-like appearance?Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Anna- the goldfish has been losing many scales in the last two days.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I was afraid of that. Are you able to post a picture of the fish? You can up,oad one by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. It looks like you weren't able to send a picture of your fish or test the water. I'm attaching a photo for you to look at. Do your goldfish's scales look like this before they fall off?