Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My hamster has a syst on its paw, Cinderella and she is

Customer Question
My hamster has a...

My hamster has a syst on its paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?

Cinderella and she is coming up to 2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cinderella?

She is scared of everything. I rehomed her from pets at home and fear she was mishandled. I have not been able to tame her despite my experience with over over 20 abandoned hammies.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
9/13/2017
Pet Specialist: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Pet Specialist: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

When did you first notice the cyst? Did it come up suddenly?

I noticed yesterday. I recently came back from holiday and it was not there when I left :( It could have popped up within the last two weeks though as she is a very timid hamster I worry It may have been sooner. She is drinking alot. I put in extra water bottles weeks ago because she was constantly drinking and was worried that the one she had was not working properly. The syst was not there then
Pet Specialist: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Will she tolerate any handling at all?

I also found her frantically scratching at the paper I use to protect her from the bars and she was screeching as if something was there. It was like she was attacking something. Almost like a night terror. Managed to calm her but perhaps because her foot is hurting her she is attacking it?
No. She jumps across her cage. I fear that the vet may finish her off. She is so afraid. She will not be touched. She wets herself if I touch her
To be clear, I re-home unwanted hamsters and gerbils. I am not a first time companion and experienced in looking after them but with the extremley anxious hamster and the thought of a possible examination that could cause extra stress I'm trying to do the best by her. I am not lazily cutting corners.
Pet Specialist: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

If she will not be handled, there really is very little we can do for the cyst. Obviously draining the cyst is out of question and any topical treatments would involve handling. The only suggestion I can make which may help, is to talk to your vet who may be able to prescribe a course of antibiotics to go in her water, which may help with any infection associated with the cyst. However, from your picture, it does not have the appearance of an abscess.

Thankyou
Pet Specialist: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

You are very welcome.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling