Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My hamster has a syst on its paw, Cinderella and she is

Customer Question

My hamster has a syst on its paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Cinderella and she is coming up to 2.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cinderella?
Customer: She is scared of everything. I rehomed her from pets at home and fear she was mishandled. I have not been able to tame her despite my experience with over over 20 abandoned hammies.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

When did you first notice the cyst? Did it come up suddenly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I noticed yesterday. I recently came back from holiday and it was not there when I left :( It could have popped up within the last two weeks though as she is a very timid hamster I worry It may have been sooner. She is drinking alot. I put in extra water bottles weeks ago because she was constantly drinking and was worried that the one she had was not working properly. The syst was not there then

Will she tolerate any handling at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also found her frantically scratching at the paper I use to protect her from the bars and she was screeching as if something was there. It was like she was attacking something. Almost like a night terror. Managed to calm her but perhaps because her foot is hurting her she is attacking it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. She jumps across her cage. I fear that the vet may finish her off. She is so afraid. She will not be touched. She wets herself if I touch her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To be clear, I re-home unwanted hamsters and gerbils. I am not a first time companion and experienced in looking after them but with the extremley anxious hamster and the thought of a possible examination that could cause extra stress I'm trying to do the best by her. I am not lazily cutting corners.

If she will not be handled, there really is very little we can do for the cyst. Obviously draining the cyst is out of question and any topical treatments would involve handling. The only suggestion I can make which may help, is to talk to your vet who may be able to prescribe a course of antibiotics to go in her water, which may help with any infection associated with the cyst. However, from your picture, it does not have the appearance of an abscess.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou

You are very welcome.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,