Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

One of my gerbils is behaving strangely. He is laying down…

Customer Question
Hi, one of my...

Hi, one of my gerbils is behaving strangely. He is laying down while all the others are energetic. He seems lethargic but whenever I pick him up or touch him, he strongly jerks away. He doesn't seem dehydrated but he isn't interested in any treats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the gerbil's name and age?

He came from a rescue so it is hard to say for sure. Probably about 1 year. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?

I don't know if it is congenital or if he had trauma when very young but he is missing both lower limbs below the knees. Those regions were completely healed when the rescue got him about 6 months ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
9/12/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Flash is having problems. From the behavior you have described he is showing dehydration. Has he been eating and drinking normally?

Is he passing urine and stool?

Is he eating and drinking?

Joan

He was eating and drinking and acting normally yesterday. He is in a group cage so it is more difficult to determine if he ate/drank/urinated/defecated overnight or this morning. He wasn't interested in treats this morning. When I tent his skin, it drops back down normally which is why I said he doesn't seem dehydrated. He is still laying down and has muscle jerks every 30 seconds or so. I'm wondering if he is having a long seizure but it has been over 10 minutes now. When I touch him or pick him up he is able to respond and tries to crawl away.I know I should take him to a vet but we don't have an exotic vet available here. The last time I took a dying rodent in to the vet I was charged over $200 just to euthanize.

Thank you! A seizure lasting 10 mins would have killed the Gerbil. His body could not handle it. Lets try a drop or two of Karo syrup or Pancake syrup in his mouth, in case he has a glucose level drop.Next I want to try giving some Pedilyte via eye dropper or a syringe. This will help if dehydration.There may have been a Head injury that has caused what you are seeing. His condition form what you have described, has been poor and he is lucky to have found you. THe ideal scenario is to have him seen, but these suggestions cover hypoglycemia, dehydration. If neithere of those, it woud be impossible to know what else could be cauing this issue other than parasites or an infection, and tat requires a Vet.

These are Gerbil Vets: https://www.petcha.com/directory-of-veterinarians-for-exotic-small-mammals/ VCA clinics and Banfield Clinics give first visit free, if that helps out.

Joan

How is your Gerbil doing? I am checking in to see how tings are going and if you had he Gerbil seen.

Joan