Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I want to get a small community tank with live plants going…

Customer Question
I want to get a...
I want to get a small community tank with live plants going for my betta fish. I really don't know anything about taking care of live aquatic plants or how to introduce tank mates to the betta and what tanks mates to get and how big of a tank per how many tank mates are there etc. any home aquarium experts that can give me some advice? Thank you!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
9/11/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech fo 35+ years and have kept aquariums for over 40+ years.

How long has the tank been running?

Do you have filtration?

Joan

I don't have a tank, right now my betta has been healing in a small quarantine tank because he had some bad fin rot :( he's seems to be better now but I want to get him a nice home for his fins to grow back in
With live plants and maybe a snail or shrimp or one of those African frogs

Thank you! When setting up a tank it will go through a Nitrogen cycle that may be hard on your Betta. I wouh can make most fish il and kill them. ld get the tank set up with filtration and a coule of plants and to this new tank add one or two black mollies to help with cycling the tank. Te tank will go through Ammonia spikes which can make most fish deathly ill. You will need to monitor the tank and check water parameters. You can use an APImaster test kit. This will take about 6 weeks to totally cycle the tank. Once it is all set, then you can add the beta. Let the tank adjust with the beta and add only one fish at a time to make sure the tank does not spike. It is a long process, but will save deaths of fish duruing the new tank cycle. 25% water changes and regular testing will help the enresult of a nice Fish tank.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

Wanted to check and see if you have started the new tank. I tried to give you the best information so your tank will be safe for the fish.

Joan