PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Second opinion] Our Guinea Pig has started to loose hair on

Second opinion] Our Guinea Pig has started to loose hair on both sides of his body and drinking an excessive amount of what.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Stephen Furry and he is about we believe
JA: How old is Stephen?
Customer: 2 - 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stephen?
Customer: His brother and cage mate died about a month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about the passing of his cage mate? How old was he? What happened?

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

How long ago did this begin? When did the increased water consumption begin?

Any changes his urinary output, such as blood?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His cage mate just passed away. No symptoms or anything. He was approximately 2-2 1/2. He was ok earlier in the day or so we thought. On each side of Stephen Furry's body he is loosing hair and has bald patches. It started about a week ago and has gotten progressively worse. I can't get pictures currently. It is classic patchy hair loss. The water consumption became noticeable today. He drank an entire water bottle in 8 hours today.

Are you seeing any profuse grooming on either side with the fur loss or does it appear to be coming out on its own?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears to be coming out on it's on. I initially thought it was mange as I previously had a guinea pig with the same initial symptoms with the hair loss.

Given the fur loss on both sides of the body and high volume of water consumption, the risk of Cushing's disease, diabetes, kidney disease, etc. is quite high. I would arrange a visit with your vet to have Stephan Furry examined and treated. Your vet will want to start with diagnostics to determine the cause of the symptoms. Do you already have a vet you're seeing with your GPs or do you need help finding one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We need help find a vet please.

Can you tell me the city and state where you reside?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
West Bloomfield Mi

It looks like you have quite a few options in your area, including a specialist:

1) http://www.unionlakeveterinaryhospital.com/veterinary-services/pocket-pet-care.html
2) http://www.animalhospitalmapleorchard.com
3) https://www.vetclinicwestbloomfieldmi.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Stephen Furry?

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is doing ok. He is still talking and playing. He has not gotten worse.

Did you have success with the links above for vets near West Bloomfield, MI?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has an appt. however, he has taken a major turn for the worst. He is dying. When we came home to day he was laying on his side and has been unable to get. His breathing is very labored and he is not making any of his squeaking noises. It looks like he is trying make noises. We have been giving him water with a syringe and talking to him and covered with a blanket to keep him warm and comfortable. Unfortunately I can not afford the hospital fees that would be incurred. We love him and trying to keep him comfortable until he passes away. It's heartbreaking.

Are you able to afford the cost of euthanasia. This would be an ideal approach to the situation considering the unfortunate circumstances.

Following up, JACustomer. Did Stephen Furry make it through the evening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,Unfortunately, he did not. We never made it to the vet. Thank you for your kindness and compassion. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm so very sorry to hear of his passing. My greatest condolences.