Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Lump on left side & hard time breathing, Teddy bear hamster,

Customer Question
Lump on left side...

Lump on left side & hard time breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Teddy bear hamster

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the teddy bear's name and age?

Ash & no idea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the teddy bear?

He had cedar bedding

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
9/11/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

I am sorry for the wait. I have just come back online from the hurricane. I would like to assist you.

Where is the lump located near hind quater or front area?

Is he still on cedar bedding?

Is he eating and drinking?

Joan

The lump is center on left side. No cedar bedding. He is eating & drinking

Thank you! The cedar beding causes Respiratory issues as well as pine does the same. As far as the lump it could be an abscess, a cyst or a Tumor. Un fortunately, with this type of issues a Fine needle aspiration is needed, to draw out some cells to see what we are dealing with. If it is affecting the breathing it could be pressing on the lungs or diaphram, and that is a seious issue. I suggest having the hamster into a Hamster savy Vet to see if the can aspirate the lump and know what may be going on.

I know you would like an easy answet, but unfortinately, we see a lot of Malignant tumes in hamsters especaially if they are older. Hamsters life span are 1 1/2 years to 2 years of age.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I know his is probably not what you want to hear, but I have to be honest with you abot possible outcome.

Joan

Thank you for being honest. If it is respitory only and related to the cedar will changing it he resolve the breathing or is that usually permanent

If Respiratory du to the cedar it may take some time to clear the lungs. The oils litterally burns the linning of the lungs. We do not know how much damage was dune. I am concerned with the lump as the problem due to the fact that he is still eating and drinking. We generally see them off food when respiratory issues arize as well as goopy eyes and stuffy noses.

Joan

Ok. I will take all this into account & go from there. Thank you

I wish there was an easy answer, but since we do no know age, that can also be a factor in what you are seeing.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan