Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I just have a rust type colored slimy algae in my freshwater

Customer Question

I just have a rust type colored slimy algae in my freshwater tank. The amount has slowly been rising and i was just curious if it was dangerous to my fish. I know algae can add oxygen and use nitrates which is harmful to fish so i didnt know if i needed to clean all the algae out of leave it alone.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your fish?
Customer: My fish are fine now actually. I just got them over a fungual infection and nirtite poisioning
JA: Did you see what your fish ate?
Customer: Um, they only eat the pellets and flakes i feed them
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your fish?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish for over 40 years.

High nitrates, infrequent water changes and inappropriate lighting are all contributing factors to the slimey red algae that you are seeing. I would 1 get some good size algae eater and try and clean as much algae out as much as possible. I would get as much as you can out of the tank, because if you do not it can take over the tank and the tank can become toxic.I would limit lighting and slow on feeing until you can get all under control. Lastly you may want to add once teaspoon full of aquarim salt per gallon of water.

`THe Salt will act as a tonic for the fish is anti bacterial, antifungal and antprasitic.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful in controling and getting rid of the algae issue in the tank.

Joan