Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My small dog, female, 12 years old, developed this spot in

Customer Question

My small dog, female, 12 years old, developed this spot in her ear over the past few of days. Will try to attach picture.. it seems to be slightly tender but she isn't scratching or rubbing it. She hasn't had any infections or medicines lately. I can't tell if there is a smell to it or if it's just the smell of her ear, it's not overwhelming. The skin under the spot was pink prior to its appearance, not black like it is now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Picture
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to represent chronically inflamed skin as considerable hypertrophy of the inferior surface of the pinna (ear flap) is noted. To better assess it see if you can gently wash away the brown which is likely to be a combination of wax and dirt. I would expect there to be quite a yeast population there. Please upload another pic after you've done your best to clean this area.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It cleaned up some, the discoloration appears to be under she skin though

Thank you. A moment, please...

Good work! You're seeing the hyperpigmentation of chronic inflammation. This area should respond nicely to a prescription combination antiyeast/antibacterial otic ointment such as Panalog (or generics) or Otomax. Do you something like that at home?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't believe so, but my son had a terrible yeast diaper rash not to long ago and I put Monostat on it, would that possibly work?

Yes, that could be a good choice until the vet prescribes something like I mentioned above. You can alternate the Monostat with an over the counter hydrocortisone cream. One ointment followed by the other in 6 hours and so on...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect, thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.