Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My healthy acitve hamster seems to be pooping less this

Customer Question

My healthy acitve hamster seems to be pooping less this week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Hermione and about 7 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hermione?
Customer: there seems to be a flesh colored bump near her bottom She is still eating and drinking, but there seems to be less poop in her cage over the last few days.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping small pets. I'm sorry that Hermione is having a problem.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the bump?

At the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon. Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture.

Also, tell me about her diet - both basics and treats.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She gets a mixed blend of of Higgins Sunburst blend , Kaytee hamster healthy support diet, and some(about every 2-3 days) fresh food, usually small pieces of apple or broccoli, or carrot.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She also gets timothy hay treats about 2-3 times a week
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The picture is pretty blurry, but from what I can see, the bump looks like a tumor of some sort. It could also be a small hernia. Regardless, there isn't anything you can do about it on your own.For the difficulty pooping, try giving her some extra fresh foods that have fiber. Bits of fruit or some greens, like clover, dandelion, ( from an untreated lawn only) or collards from the store. Just stick to small pieces or you could end up with diarrhea. It would be OK to give her a little fresh food every day.If she actually becomes constipated, you could put a drop of olive oil on one if her treats.If you don't have a vet and you want to get the bump checked out, let me know and I'll give you a link to vets who will treat hamsters ( there's no extra fee for that). If you have more questions about this, let me know. I hope Hermione will be fine.Anna
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will but what about the smaller bowel movements? Are they related to the hernia?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
That's what the fiber and fresh foods are supposed to help with. Since we don't know what that bump really is, it's hard to say if it's related. If it would happen to be part of her intestine, then it would be related.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna