Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Pet rabbit rapid breathing and not eating. Hopper- we think

Customer Question

pet rabbit rapid breathing and not eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Hopper- we think she is maybe 8. Lives indoors, eats pellets, hay and fresh veggies.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hopper-?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Hopper is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Where a rabbit has rapid breathing and is not eating this is often due to a respiratory infection of some kind, although as your rabbit is quite aged there are certainly other possible diagnosis.

2. If Hopper does have a respiratory infection then there is really nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis, specialist antibiotics such as Baytril may be needed, so really your best way forward is to take her to be checked over by your local vet as soon as this can be arranged.

3. All you can do for now is just to keep her comfortable and reassured, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Hopper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Hopper is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her breathing problems ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?