Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My Koi has a swollen belly and is floating upside down. When…

Customer Question
My Koi has a...

My Koi has a swollen belly and is floating upside down. When it try to right itself it just flips back over. The tank pump was off for 24 hours without us knowing. How do I save it?!?!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Koi's name and age?

Sunshine and it about 2 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunshine?

Her belly seems to have gotten bigger in the last couple of hours

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
Have you forgotten me? I'm really worried about my fish and it's been over an hour. My membership says an answer within 30 minutes. Please respond. Thanks
8/7/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish over 40 years., Your question was sent to the wrong area and I just recieved it.

I suspect that you are seeing Swim Bladder Disease which affects a fish's swim bladder. This is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly.

This can be a result of water quality, over feeding dry foods or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less. You should have an API test kit to check the levels. Some pet shops will do it for a small fee.

We can try some first aid to help the fish.

1) First do a 3/4 water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement.

2) Next please feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem.

3) I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease.

If the fish is in with other fish it may be wise to set up a hospital tank which will make it easier to treat the fish.

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which include reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort.

This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help: http://www.koivet.com/a_fishvets.html

My goal is 100% satisfaction. Please hit reply if you have further questions, so I can meet that goal and give you the best possible answer.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan