Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have two mollys that I'm sure are sick due to my

Customer Question
I have two mollys...

I have two mollys that I'm sure are sick due to my inexperience ai added fish before tank had cycled and all other fish are fine but one of the two has fuzz on its hills both appear to be breathing heavy the other is swiming face up tail down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the molly's name and age?

I have had them for about a month and they are dalmation moll

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the molly?

I did add fungus guard today

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
8/6/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 6 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear if this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What results do you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?What is the pH?What other kinds of fish do you have in the tank?Thank you.
I have a 15 gallon tank that is freshwater with tropical fish I myself do not test the water I bring it to my local pet store. Today they had told me my ammonia was perfect and I have to come back in a week because other levels are still off its been just about 7 weeks with the tank
Thank you for getting back to me. I was just now notified that you had responded - I'm sorry for the delay. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. The reason I asked about your other fish is that mollies benefit from brackish water, but some other fish cannot tolerate salt. Since the mollies are in their own tank, you can go ahead and add some aquarium salt ( sold in the pet store). Use one teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water in the quarantine tank. But don't add more with water changes. Only add it the one time. You are already treating for fungus, so other than trying to keep the water optimal, that will be all you can do.If the pet store used a strip that you dip in the water to test it, such strips are very inaccurate. It would be better if you got your own test kit, such as the API Master Test Kit, that has test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples. That way, you can monitor the water more often and get more accurate results. To keep fish truly healthy, we need ammonia and nitrites at zero. Nitrates should be less than 40 ppm. Since you were told some chemicals were high, I'm glad you did that 35% water change. I woukd do another 10% tomorrow. Normally when cycling a tank, we test every day, and as long as there are any nitrites or ammonia in the tank, do a daily partial water change.Mollies are more sensitive than some other species to water quality, so that's probably why they're having trouble when the others aren't. They also do better at a different pH than most other species, so that may also be a factor. In summary, I would add some aquarium salt, continue testing and doing water changes, and consider buying your own test kit so you can monitor more closely. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your mollies will be able to recover from this setback.Anna

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist