Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I think my ferrets leg is either broke or just strained,

Customer Question
I think my ferrets...

I think my ferrets leg is either broke or just strained

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Just redness and swelling

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Leg?

She's 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leg?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
8/5/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you with your Ferret.

Is there any heat in the leg?

Could the ferret have caught the leg in the cage?

Is she eating, drinking passing stool and urinating?

Is she vocalizem?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No heat that innotice. She don't eat a lot but some. Still urinates and such. She don't really vocally sound pain but she shakes and barely walks. She's just laid down for 2 days now only moving when she has to. I found her hanging from her cage.

It sounds liike there may be a break in the leg. There is nothing that can be done at home to treat it. She will need to have the leg Xrayed as soon as possible for treatment. She may need surgical intervention with the leg. I know it is painful and the Vet will have to give something for inflammation and pain.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but in order to help her, she needs to see the Vet as soon as possible. Because of the leg she may go off food and that can be another complication. I have to be honest with you about this. The leg needs treatment as soon as possible. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None of the animal hospitals here treat ferrets. I've called all of them in 3 counties

Let me see if I can find a list of Vets.

Joan

This link can help you find an Exotic Vet: https://www.aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator

https://www.ferret.org/links/vets.html

If you have a Petsmart nearby they have Vets that will see a Ferret in their Banfield Clinic and Also the VCA clinics.

If you supply a city and State and zipcode I can try and find an ER Vet for you.

Joan

How is your Ferret doing? Were you able to have he into a Vet? Please let me know.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan