Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We found a small rabbit (baby?) in our yard. When my son…

Customer Question
Hi. We found a...

Hi. We found a small rabbit (baby?) in our yard. When my son picked it up it's skin/fur peeled back. He's jumping around. Is there anything we should / can do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?

I don't know either. Just found it in the yard

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
8/5/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Thank you. This is a severe degloving injury. This bunny needs to find a wildlife rescue. Would you like some help finding one in your area? You may also wish to contact animal control after hours to see if they take wildlife, many of them do for larger cities.

It just peels back. No clear signs of trauma and he doesn't seem to be in pain (though I'm not sure I would recognize the signs!)
please
I'm in shreveport Louisiana

These type of injuries happen all the time with rabbits. Their skin is very, very fragile and loosely connected. Resources to try:

1) http://werla.net
2) http://wildlife.rescueshelter.com/Louisiana
3) http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/rehab

Also check with ER clinics in your area to see if they offer surrendering and care for wildlife:
1) http://www.aeclinic.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. Were you able to find some assistance for the rabbit?