Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My rat has had a respitory infection for awhile now. We took

Customer Question

My rat has had a respitory infection for awhile now. We took him to the vet and she gave us some medicine and also told us that we should start to clean his cage everyday and so we did and he got better but a few weeks ago his infection came back so we got some more medication but now it doesn't seem to be helping my rat. And his skin underneath his fur is very yellow.. he sneezes and makes clicking sounds and I'm afraid he won't make it. He is still active and playful but he could be declining .. I want to know why his skin is so yellow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections Has can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Has?
Customer: The doctor also told me that he had mites but we got him some medication and took care of that problem
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist, but need to ask some questions.

Can you tell me was the Vet a Rat Vet?

What medication did he give you for the RI?

What did you use to treat the Mites?

You mentioned the skin is yellow underneath the fur, is he yellow in the eyes or anywhere else on the body?

Joan