Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a large fish tank which has been set up for quitea…

Customer Question
Hello I have a large...
Hello I have a large fish tank which has been set up for quitea few years now. It has two comet fish. Tested my ph and its 6.4? Is that too low? In the past it has read 7.4. Fish are all healthy. Ammonia was 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 20ppm. Should I be worried about the ph?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
8/2/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fosh 40+ years.

The Ph should be 7.0 which is Neutral. You can raise it by Dissolving the baking soda in some water before adding it to the tank.The ratio of 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons . If you choose to do it, gradual addition of this mixture should be done slowly, so not to shock the tank. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. What would have caused it to drop like that? I do fortnightly water changes in the tank. I will do the baking soda thank you

Sometimes doing water changes too ofeten can cause a problem with the cycling. THe 6.4 is not dangerouse, but I would try to raise it a bit closer to the 7.0 level. If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just one last question. With a 90 litre tank his offen should you do a change? I do fortnightly and change 25%

You can get away with Once a month 25% change as long as you have filtration in the tank. There shuold be no problem with that time frame. Water will eveaporate as well during the time period, so I would not do more than once a month.

Joan

Did you have any further questions that I can help with? If I have addressed all your questions, Please take a moment to rate my service. I am not compenated by the site until I have been rated.

Joan