Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I've had 3 of the 8 baby bunnies die now and a fourth isn't…

Customer Question
I've had 3 of...

I've had 3 of the 8 baby bunnies die now and a fourth isn't looking good (lathargic). This is our does first litter (we thought she was a he!)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the baby. What is the baby's name?

It doesn't have a name since we don't know boy or girl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?

They were born in a burrow but are now in a metal cage. it is summer so mayber they're too hot?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pet
8/1/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the cage they're in?

Do the deceased bunnies appear injured or unwell? Are they well fed?

What are the daytime highs?

Is the cage kept outdoors? If so, in the sun or shade?

They are not injured. They have all looked healthy till their dead. The cage is just wire all the way around. Highs in the 90s and the cafe does get some direct sunlight. I've put some light foam board on top to keep the inside shaded. There's fresh Timothy hay and water in there at all times and I put mama in there at night since I'm not sure on their age. Three weeks I think. They seem to nurse still

The high in the 90s can very easily turn into 100's and higher with direct sunlight. I would make the assumption that this likely is too hot for them, particularly if they're still at the nursing stage and in need of both mom's milk and cannot effectively regulate body temps. Since many of the young have died so far, I would urge you move everyone indoor where the temperature does not reach above 80 degrees. It may also be worthwhile to have the doe examined to determine if there are any abnormalities to her that may be causing the loss of young, and also post-mortem exams if any other babies pass away.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800