Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I had my guinea pig to the vet two weeks ago with a runny

Customer Question

i had my guinea pig to the vet two weeks ago with a runny nose and an ulcerated cornea. He gave me drops for her eye and an antibiotic to mix in water to treat for upper respiratory. After she drank about half of a 8 oz water bottle in a weeks time she was eating. So I thought we'll maybe I'll give her regular water and that maybe the antibiotic was upsetting her stomach, so she started drinking regular water looked like she was going to go back to normal with eating, and now I noticed she is drooling, when I had her into the vet he checked her teeth and said they look fine
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

Did the Vet do any Xrays of the teeth?

Are you using a Probiotic since you were using an Antibiotic?

Did you finish the corse of the medication?

What Antibiotic was used?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was Baytril and no I didn't finish it because she wasn't drinking the water and I was worried she would get dehydrated so I put just regular water without the other dose of antibiotics
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Normally you need to continue the antibiotics and we generally give them with an eye Dropper Vs putting in the water. You can always syringe feed Pedialyte and water mixture for fluids.Hello,

Did the Vet do any Xrays of the teeth?Are you using a Probiotic since you were using an Antibiotic?Is the Vet experienced with Guinea PigsJoan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay so should I get an eye dropper and give her the rest of the antibiotics? Just put it in her mouth?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I would do the dosage directly in the mouth via eye dropper. I would also have an Xray of the jaw done. Back molars can have some points causing the Drooling. Please make sure she is getting her daily Vitamin C supplement. Lastly Please get her on a Probioci like Benebac which can be gotten at the pet shop. When on an Antibiotic a giunea Pig needs the Probiotic to rebuild the Gut flora in the intestinal tract.

If she is not eating try some baby food veggies and offer plenty of fresh hay for her to eat. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is eating now, okay thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is the dosage of antibiotic the same? He gave me the antibiotic to mix in her water so Is that too much to just give her straight?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

What you can do is dilute it in the water and give as directed with an eye Dropper. This calculator can help get the correct dosage: http://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html

Oral Dosage: 2.5-10.0 mg/kg q12h Every 12 hours.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much should I dilute it and do I give her the probiotics before or after?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

How much were you putting in the water bottle? You can make up exactly what you had in the water bottle and give throughout the day, or you can call the Vet in the Morning and ask for specific instruction to dilute per does, since they have her weight. As far as the Probiotic you can give any time. It is needed to rebuild the gut flora. AS I said if she is not eating try some Green veggies in baby food form.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could the antibiotics make you not want to eat ? Since I wasn't giving her the probiotics? Cause she got a half of dose and she wasn't eating normally now I haven't gave her the antibiotics in a week and she is starting to eat more
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Antibiotics can upset the stomach and cause lack of appetites and Probiotics generally help with that. We usually recommend Critical Care for Herbivores when giving an antibiotic as a supplemental feeding.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan