PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Dwarf hamster not moving but taking rapid breaths and eyes

Customer Question

Dwarf hamster not moving but taking rapid breaths and eyes are partway open
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Marshmallow and about 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marshmallow?
Customer: No she was fine yesterday
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She died about 5 min ago��������

I am very sorry to hear of Marshmallow's passing. The symptoms you mentioned suggest this may have been an upper respiratory tract infection. Was she in with any other hamsters?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, and she was fine yesterday. We have another robo dwarf hamster in another cage in the same room that is almost 1 yr old.

Hopefully this did not transfer to the robo hamster since they are in different cages. Unfortunately, URI can onset very quickly and debilitate an animal within hours, in some cases. Since she was so young, I imagine this is why she went downhill so quickly.