Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a female parakeet who is about 12 years old. I woke…

I have a female...

I have a female parakeet who is about 12 years old. I woke up this morning to her on the bottom of her cage chirping weirdly and falling over. She can't seem to stay standing for long, won't take any food or water offered. I think she may have a back toe that is broken, but I'm not sure if that's all. She sounds weak.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the parakeet's name?

Angel, she was my son's and now he's off to college.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?

No, she's never had any issues. I put her in her travel carrier right since it has a smooth bottom for her to lay in and put some millet in there hoping she'd try some but she's just laying there, not getting up.

7/15/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any chance of a head trauma?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Does she look to be breathing heavier?

Does she seem weak or is she favouring one of her legs?

Can she move them at all?

She was ok yesterday, she was on the bottom of her cage chirping weirdly this morning and unable to stand without falling over. No chance of exposure to meds or chemicals or plants, she stays in her cage. Head trauma would be unlikely too. She is def weak, not really favoring a leg, she can move both legs. Right now she's laying down sort of on her right side and kicking her left leg out every few seconds not making any noise.
Any thoughts?

Hello again,

Now I am glad Angel hasn't any access to harmful items and if she can move the legs then we can rule out a severe spinal fracture. That said, even with those aside, I am quite concerned about her. This is because without particular leg issues we'd be concerned that her signs are likely due to brain or spinal lesion (ie infection, inflammation, tumor, abscess, etc). Both can come on without warning and often cause weakness to paralysis (sometimes progressing with time). And unfortunately, I do have to note that there won't be much more you can do for her at home. So, while you were right to move her to a soft bottomed cage, we'd really want her local vet to see her urgently. If this is infection or inflammation, we may be able to treat this with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to give her a chance. Of course, tumors would carry a poorer prognosis for her. But I would still advise having her seen at this point, as this will be very stressful for her (especially with her being a prey species) and that too could push her over the edge here.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian