Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Candy. I have a almost 13yr old neutered blk lab. He's

Hi candy. I have a...
Hi candy. I have a almost 13yr old neutered blk lab. He's allergic to wheat and has had hip issues for years. More muscle then anything else. He's also a walking pooping dog. I don't think he's stayed in one spot in over 9 yrs... so, recently, he's having issues with both hips. I can see that the muscle tone is fading, his ass drops slowing when standing. And he's going deaf. My question - he's been pooping like one turd in his sleep, and then while he's walking, mind u thru the living room. I make sure he's out side plenty long and he walks the drive, back area every time, but then he'll come in and you turn around, and there's one, the another 2 feet away.... and I don't believe he knows he's doing it. Is there anything like a diaper you know of, a butt plug - sorry, but.....
7/14/2017
Dr. Michelle B
Dr. Michelle B, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is*****'d be happy to help you with your concerns today. Please give me a moment to review your request and write my response.

I'm sorry that Willy seems to not be doing well lately.

Fecal incontinence can be difficult to deal with. It may be that it's just his hips getting worse or that he has a neurologic issue.
Is Willy on any medications for his hips? Like an anti-inflammatory, pain medication or joint supplement?

There are some good quality doggy diapers you can use. Let me look up the link for the ones I usually recommend.

No meds. Hips used to act up when we went camping and he ran and ran. Once we moved to the new property 2 yrs ago, he figured it out and basically walks his perimeter. So we haven't had to do pain meds for 2 yrs now. And when it did hurt, it was muscle spams down the leg. A rub down from mom and some heat and he was fine. I'm pretty sure it's the nerves or muscle saying I'm getting old.
He's also going deaf, so trying to explain pooping in house isn't good, he just looks at you like, what. Do u want me to follow, lay down....... there's no hand signal for pooping outside.
I do know any lab over 12 is a blessing and I have 2. :) so I count each day a gift.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Washable-Dog-Diapers-Durable/dp/B01D3IOAXI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1500004886&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=washable+dog+diapers+male+large&psc=1

These are a brand of doggy diapers I've had owners use before that have liked them. They are reusable, machine washable and seem to work well enough. It is very important that thy need to be changed very frequently so as not to cause irritation to the skin from urine or feces being held against the skin too long. Once you buy some and make sure they fit well/work well, you may want to keep several around and wash them regularly. Some people will also buy female sanitary napkins/pads to line the front part as well to help absorb some of the urine and toss those out as they become full.

That definitely sounds rough. And you are right about labs getting up in age. I hope he continues to otherwise do well and stays with you as long as he can live a happy life!

If it is a nerve issue/neurologic issue there is very little that can be done to help with fecal incontinence. It sounds like you love Willy a lot and I'm glad you're willing to cater to his needs to help his quality of life.

If you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them. If not, please take a moment to rate my service by selecting the number of stars you feel corresponds with your level of satisfaction.

Thank you and good luck with Willy!

There hasn't been urine issues yet, but ultimately, when this really goes south, what things do I need to look out for. Like, lose of legs use, could he end up not having bowl movements on his own.... etc
Diapers look awesome and better then depends. :) thank you.

You are very welcome. There are a few versions of the washable ones on amazon too. Feel free to try a couple different ones to find a good fit.

There are also some versions of disposable diapers actually made for dogs as well. I have less experience with these but you can find some here. I imagine you'd go through them very quickly which could get expensive and they may not work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solution-Disposable-Diapers-Large/dp/B000FF5RDU/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000FF5RDU&pd_rd_r=GAMKFJC363S8TRZNM2WX&pd_rd_w=7JPIW&pd_rd_wg=Zx7kA&psc=1&refRID=GAMKFJC363S8TRZNM2WX

If he has a type of neurologic issue or damage somewhere in his lower spine you may see signs of urinary incontinence or weakness in the hindlimbs - which usually initially looks like scuffing of the paws, not picking them up normally when he takes a step, dragging the paws, and walking wobbly/drunkenly in the hindlimbs. A common cause of some of these symptoms is something called IVDD or intervertebral disc disease, like a slipped disc in people. However, fecal incontinence is not usually the first symptom - we often see others first.

They can have a further back nerve issue that affects only the anal sphincter region which means you may only see fecal incontinence that may worsen with time - having no control whatsoever.

If he had something like a tumor affecting his spine, you may also see pain while walking as well as the signs of IVDD.

I usually tell owners to watch closely for the weakness in the legs - if that is getting progressively worse, it may get difficult for him to get around on his own and that can lead to messing on himself frequently and a poor quality of life. In some cases they can end up getting backed up/constipated so monitor for signs of not going as well. Also if you suspect he has difficulty urinating that can be a sign of things getting worse so monitor his urination habits (diapers should make this easy).

If you can keep him diapered and changed frequently though, as long as the signs aren't getting severely worse and he's otherwise fine, he can do just fine for a long while. Watch his skin for signs of redness/any foul odors or moist areas of skin. If you see anything like that he may be developing a skin infection and he should be seen by a veterinarian.

Dr. Michelle B
Dr. Michelle B, Veterinarian
Thanks again. As to the legs, yes, he's been squatting per say for months. Pooping for a month. But he still pees like a girl, and haven't seen issues there yet. As to walking, at little wobbly, but not to bad. Just hard time pulling legs up to stand and even more so on smooth service. But he's happy, so, i'll leave it at that. Thank you again. Hopefully, his 13 bday will come and go with out a hitch, and so will their 14. :) one can only wish. :) the gang say thanks - Willy, his bro Moose, their adoptive sis Nellie, and the mice catchers, Banks and Rivers.

Thank you for the positive review. That's quite a team you have there! You're all very welcome! Give the gang an ear rub each for me!

Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willy. How is everything going?
Dr. Michelle B
Dr. Michelle B
Dr. Michelle B
Dr. Michelle B, Veterinarian