Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I just built a fence and my dogs will only do their business

on walks instead of the...
I just built a fence and my dogs will only do their business on walks instead of the yard, what should I try?
7/13/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is*****

Will they go out in the yard? How long of a time period are they out there before you let them back in? Have they every had a yard before?

never had a yard before but have been in other fenced in yards. The heat is bad and I don't like leaving them out there for long, they just sit on the deck even if I carry them to the grass
No, I was charged and not happy with the last visit

Okay so you have a few options.

Put their leashes on and walk them around the yard as if you are going on a walk.

If you do not take them on an outside the yard walk for a few days, which should be alright if it is really hot there, then they will be forced to go in the yard.

One thing I know works well is to have a friends dog come over and mark your yard with their urine or feces.

You know how when you walk them as soon as you come across a place a dog has marked your dogs feel they have to go on the same spot? Well if you have a friends dog come in your yard and mark then your dogs will want to on top of that area.

If you must take them for a walk outside of the yard then if they have a bowel movement pick it up and put that in your yard so their scent is there.

I just got a new puppy and thought they would mark her spots, if they don't go, they occasionally will go inside and I don't want that

Okay so if they are going inside they are not completely house trained or they forgot they are house trained.

How are you training the puppy? Are you crate training him/her?

Can you go outside with them and walk them around in the yard? Then if they do not go they will have to be confined in crate or small pen so they can not sneak off and go in the house. You can also tie the leash to your belt loop while they are in the house. House training is not an instant thing so you will have to treat them like they are puppies again.

but the last vet couldn't tell me how long her potty and play time should be before going back in the crate, I just need an order to follow, crate, out, pee, play crate?? I hope you can help me
I'm always outside with them when they go out

I would still have a friends or neighbors dog come over and mark your yard. Your puppy is part of the pack so they will not be a worried about marking over her.

Sure.

Crate

Cary out if possible so pup can not go on the floor on the way out

When outside give command. I say "go potty" Then if she goes make a big deal.

Then back in the house. You can then play if you want but do not let her out of your sight if she did not relieve herself outside. Because I guarantee she will sneak off and go on the floor.

Then if you can not watch her when you come back in, she needs to go in a crate.

Then again take her out of the crate and outside and give command to go potty or whatever you want to say.

As far as time I take the puppies out every 2 hours while awake.

Then during the night they have to stay in a crate and often I have to get up once during the night to let the puppy out.

So you want to make it impossible for her to be unsupervised in the house where she could go on the floor.

There is no set time for play. Just play until she seems tired.

As far as in the crate I take their age in months and add one. So a 3 month old puppy can be in the crate for 4 hours. A 2 month old puppy can be in the crate for 3 hours.

Puppies usually have to go potty 20-40 minutes after they eat.

And exercise increases gastrointestinal motility.

If you catch the puppy going on the floor while you are playing make a loud noise of clap your hands to stop her from going (hopefully) and then run her outside and put her on the ground and say "go potty" or whatever you decide should be your command.

Always take her out to potty after the crate, after eating, and after playing as all of those will make it more likely she will have to go.

it's possible to re-train the 2 little ones who were already here, crate them together and take them out together? I'm a softie but I have been able to ignore the rottie puppy's whining when I put her back in

Oh yes, that is how you will train the older ones and remind them they are house broken.

It's tough but I'll do it, they sleep with me so that stops now right?

Never let them out of your sight. Do not think you can quickly check email or take a shower for example. They will sneak in a potty on the floor. Put them in the crates when you are not going to be watching them like a hawk. And the two older ones can go in a crate together.

If they go off the bed and go potty on the floor then I would put them in a crate right by your bed.

I have even put the crate on my bed while I sleep.

I have also put the leash around my ankle while we sleep so I wake up if they jump off the bed.

Then if they jump off the bed you will have to get up and take them outside.

If they do not go potty on the house floor at night then you do not need to change anything.

I would do this tough love house training for 3 weeks. Then gradually give them more freedom by letting them be out of the crate when you are not watching them. Just 20 minutes to start. And if they go on the house floor then back to crate training and extreme supervision again.

Then test them again in a few weeks.

Does that make sense? I know its not as fun but it is better than having your flooring ruined and cleaning up after them.

Wow, thank you for finally giving me answers! A copy of this was sent to my email, correct? I want to print our conversation!

Definitely let me know if you have other questions : )

I will ask customer service if they can send you a copy of our conversation.

Otherwise you should be able to print it by "control P" or printing just from this screen.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
petdoc2
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian