Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

He's listless and won't fly. Doesn't seem to be able to

poop. Its very hot here...
He's listless and won't fly. Doesn't seem to be able to poop. Its very hot here and I thought it was the weather but this is very abnormal behavior for him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Darwin is an Austral***** ***** parrot and he's close to 27 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darwin?
Customer: His feathers look bright but he seems like he's struggling to stay awake
7/11/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to note that once a parrot acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. Darwin's symptoms of somnolence (sleepiness), listlessness, and lethargy are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Darwin's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.

Until Darwin can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Because he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Darwin's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your response. I brought Darwin in to see a vet today. He is sick and very thin. He was given fluids and intravenous food like you said, along with antibiotics. Because of his age, I chose to bring him home with oral antibiotics and a new environment with a heat pad and food on the ground. I've given him all his favorites of fruits and veggies and hard boiled egg. He's drinking as well. Tomorrow I'll pick up a food scale so we can watch his weight.Thanks for the feedback. It looks like he's on the right track.

You're quite welcome. Darwin is lucky to have you. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMichaelSalkin
Darwin is feeling a bit better and his appetite has increased. He really wants to get up on a perch and keeps trying to climb everything. He doesn't seem to care about the heat at all but did walk over to rest in the sun today. His weight is up a bit. Hoping for another good day tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian