Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My daughter's dwarf hamster is barely moving - but he seems

my daughter's dwarf hamster is...
my daughter's dwarf hamster is barely moving - but he seems he has a heart beat and occasionally his tummy area show abreahting but otherwise he's as if asleep
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: we got him 40 days ago from the store. He was very active last night. The house tem p was around 67 during the day
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about we?
Customer: he seems like he's not waking upi from his sleep but he's not dead
7/9/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has he been eating and drinking normally?

2) How is his body condition?

3) Is he housed alone or with others?

4) Does he appear injured?

5) Can you share video of his current condition?

Was eating normally until he slept this am. He was active last nitght. He is alone. No apparent injury evident to the eye.

Can you share video of his current condition?

Video won't work. But he isn't basically still. He occasionally opens his eyes a little but he not moving at all. Just an occasional tiny body move but legs and hand not moving

It sounds like he's in critical condition. The best approach right now would be to try to find an ER hospital that can examine and treat him. Failing this, I would add 5 drops of honey or pancake syrup to 10 drops of warm water and use an eye dropper or syringe to give a few drops in to his mouth and see if this helps his condition. It's possible for small creatures to become hypoglycemic if he's not eaten well since this morning. That said, we must be worried about conditions like upper respiratory infections and cancer when pocket pets become ill to this degree. I'll be happy to help if you would like my assistance in helping you find an ER clinic. I'll need your location.

.

Checking in. How is your daughter's hamster today?

Unfortunately the little thing didn't live. Funny that even the passing of a tiny rodent makes one so sad. Thank you for asking. Take care! Ara

Thank you for the update. I am sorry there was not better news to be shared.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse