Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

We took out two dwarf hamsters down to the beach with us for

We took out two dwarf hamsters down to the beach with us for the week and they were fine all week. Today we packed up and left and we went to go get something to eat and took them in with us. After we ate they were fine and we walked the boardwalk for maybe a half hour and it was very hot and after we got back to the car I opened up the box (which we put holes in) to check on them and they were okay but after a few minutes one would not move and only drank a little bit of water. It slowly went downhill from there but after we held her and gave her some more water she got better but is still wobbly and a little weak. Do you think that she was dehydrated and will be okay?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Penny and she's a little over a year we got her last spring
JA: How old is Penny?
Customer: A year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: No that's it

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

You said they were in a box. we they left in a locked car in the box during the time you were are the boardwalk?

Joan

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh no never we took them out with us! We had a show box we put them in with some bedding and toys and food and poked a lot of holes in it and we kept it in an open bag

Dehydration could have been the issue with the hamster acting like that. Another issue in dwarf hamsters are they are predisposed to Diabetes. This could also be an issue with Penny. If she goes down like that again you can try some sugar water or a little syrup to see if she responds. The Hypoglycemia can cause her to be lethargic as well as thirsty. I would monitor her and try a little sugar water or some pancake syrup if you are near somewhere that may have some. Hopefully that will prek her up. I do suggest a Vet visit when you get back for her to be checked out. Hamsters have sch a short life span, by a Year old they are considered senior citizens. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We tried to give her a lot of water she'll only take a little bit at a time. We were thinking it was dehydration they just mean a lot to us and we didn't know if anything bad was gonna happen. We are going to visit the vet tomorrow to see if Penny will be okay. Should I try the sugar water tonight to see if that helps at all?

Yes by all means try a little sugar water, just an ml-2m, at a time. It should per her up. You can also give some Pedilayte mixed with water for hydration. Please let me know what the Vet says. The Hamsters are lucky, most pets do not get to go on vacation. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service and please let me know what the vet says.

Joan

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will deffinetly! Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

Glad to be here for you!

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan