Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My bunny is currently being treated with neomycin-PolyB-Bac…

Hi. My bunny is currently...
Hi. My bunny is currently being treated with neomycin-PolyB-Bac ointment for corneal ulcers and Dorzolamide and Timolol ophthalmic drops for glaucoma. He is also taking 0.35 mL of meloxicam. The eye medications started yesterday. The meloxicam has been off and on for about a week. His stool has been normal up until this point. Today, however, he had a very large lump of what appears to be unformed cecotropes (they had that pungent odor). That seems to be most of what he's producing today, however. It's definitely NOT diarrhea. Soft, unformed stool. Firm but pasty and not pellet-shaped. Can the medications cause this, or might it just be stress from a trip to the vet yesterday? He's a 10-year-old male lop. He appears to be eating and urinating and otherwise acting normally. The eye issues are the only ones that he has. He was treated a couple weeks ago for a mild outer ear infection, but that's about it. Should I be immediately concerned, or should I give it a day or two to see if the stool goes back to the normal round pellets? Or should I place a call to the on-call emergency bunny vet? Thanks.
Hi. I need a rabbit-savvy vet, please.
Or anyone with experience caring for rabbits
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/8/2017
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

For some reason, customer service has locked the original question to which I replied, so I'll paste that information here:

I'm sorry for being so slow, but I had heard about a new treatment for corneal ulcers and wanted to check into that for you. I'll get into that in a moment.

Corneal ulcers are painful, regardless of what species they occur in, so I'm glad your vet has prescribed meloxicam. Stress or the medications - or both - can cause the problems you are seeing with the cecotropes. Medications upset the balance if good bacteria in the digestive system. I usually give rabbits a probiotic under these circumstances. BeneBac is a good one sold in pet stores. It's in gel form, and you just squeeze out a small line of it onto a front paw. Unless a rabbit has a poor appetite, they lick it off. I give it during the whole time they are on medication and for a week afterward - a little but every day. The only other thing to do is make sure your bunny has unlimited grass hay to keep enough fiber in his system. You probably already do that.

I'll post this much now, and will be right back with the information on the new treatment.

8 Jul 2017, 4:26 PM

Me

OK, this us from Veterinary Practice News, which is a professional journal for vets. The vet who wrote the article has been using a special form of hyaluronan, along with traditional antibiotics, to speed healing of corneal ulcers. While the article concentrates on dogs, much of the testing was done on rabbits, and it worked just as well for them. The Virbac company has come out with the product. It is called Remend Corneal Repair Drops. You might want to discuss it with your vet, or print out a copy of the article to show him/her. Here's the article:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/January-2011/New-Healant-Helps-Corneal-Wounds/

This situation isn't an emergency right now. If your bunny actually develops diarrhea or stops eating, then you'll need to see a vet right away. If you have more concerns, just let me know. Thank you very much for bringing us your question. I hope your bunny will quickly reach a full recovery.

Anna

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist