Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

We have a gold fish pond and all our fish seem to be dying,

Customer Question

we have a gold fish pond and all our fish seem to be dying
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the fish?
Customer: not that i am aware
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem with your pond. When something like this happens, the first thing we have to do is test the water. Have you already done that? If so, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? What is the pH? The water temperature?Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we have not tested water. can we get a test kit somewhere?
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Thank you fir getting back to me. You should be able to buy a test kit in any larger pet store, like Petco or PetSmart. Don't buy the strips you dip in the water - they're inaccurate. You want the kind that has test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples. The API Master Test Kit is a good one. As soon as you have those results, let me know. We'll figure out what to do from there.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we will get a kit asap and send results later
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
I'll keep an eye out for them.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Have you been able to get test results yet? We need to act soon to save your fish. If you haven't been able to get a test kit, let me know. Thank you.