Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My 48 lb 1/2 lab just ate about 1 c. Of bone meal from the

bag. Hi-Yield is the...
My 48 lb 1/2 lab just ate about 1 c. Of bone meal from the bag. Hi-Yield is the brand name. I gave her 1.5 T hydrogen peroxide but she hasn't thrown up. I understand that its the cement ball that can form in the stomach that is the problem. suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola age 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?
Customer: Nope, she's really healthy and inquisitive
IF you can't answer me right away, I'll have to take her in to vet. It's not clear on you web site that you can do this. An answer within 24 hours does me no good
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello? You were so quick to get to my credit card but now am getting no chat eve from tech.
5/15/2017
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Lola ingested some bone meal about 1 cup and that you attempted to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. Give me one moment to formulate my response. Thank you

- Dr. H

Oh I see that you requested a phone call consultation. I can send that request through now. I do offer this service.

- Dr. H

How much is a call?

I sent the request through, it should show the amount. If you prefer to just chat here we can do that instead.

- Dr. H

How long ago did Lola ingest the bone meal?
How much hydrogen peroxide did you give her? Did she take it readily?

- Dr. H

You should have given her 5tsp = 25 ml's of hydrogen peroxide by mouth. And go slowly so as not to force the liquid down her windpipe instead of her esophagus or you can risk causing aspiration pneumonia.

Just checking in again. How you would like to move forward. By chat or by phone?

Hello? Are you able to see my responses? Did you receive my questions above about how long ago was this ingested and how much hydrogen peroxide was given? I am trying to help your pet

Now I can see them. I just go a fraud alert from my credit card since they keep saying it's declined then they accept it.But let's chat this way for the dogs sakeShe ate it about an hour ago. I gave her just under 2 tbs hydrogen peroxide.

If it has been less than 2 hrs since ingestion. You should induce vomiting with the recommendations above 5tsp= 25ml's. It can take up to 10 minutes for vomiting to occur. If it doesn't then you can safely repeat this only ONCE.

Yes you are correct in that if a pet ingests a large amount it can form a ball and cause an obstruction, that is the main concern. Mild symptoms involve GI irritation which can cause some vomiting or diarrhea, but this is usually self limiting if the ingestion was small enough. We have no way of knowing what amount can cause an obstruction unfortunately, so we recommend monitoring for signs of an obstruction which includes: 1) Excessive vomiting that is continuous, 2) Severe lethargy, 3) Restlessness, 4) Abdominal distension and/or pain, 5) Lack of a stool.

- Dr. H

Yes that amount is about accurate because 3 tsp= 1 tbsp

Ok. I'll try one more time with peroxide.
I'm trying to get her to drink to break up any mass that might be there. Is that a good idea?
Will you still be here in 10 min so I can see if it works?

Giving water has not been documented as helping to break up bone meal in the intestines. In fact i would assume it would help solidify it and form a solid structure. So at this time I would recommend just doing the hydrogen peroxide again.

Yes I will be here if needed.

- Dr. H

She just threw up a small amount. Doesn't seem like more than a tbsp of bone meal. If she develops "ball", how soon would we see symptoms? Should I feed her her usual / scoops of kibble this evening ?

Ok. Well some is better than nothing. She may already have most of the bone meal in her intestines now, which is why only a little came up.

You should see signs or no signs within 12-24 hrs in most cases. Hopefully she didn't ingest that much to cause an issues. I would recommend fasting her for at least 12 hrs to see what happens. Then follow up with a bland diet of boiled plain chicken and rice or cottage cheese. - Dr. H

You also may see chalky stools, this is normal.

Ok. Shall I not feed her tomorrow morning as well as tonight?

I would only fast her for roughly 12 hrs. We don't want to go beyond that and cause her sugar levels to get low.

Also was the bone meal old? If so, this can cause some mold concerns. In this case you want to watch out for any nervous system signs (ataxia-drunken walk, muscle tremors, excessive vomiting and severe lethargy). Seek veterinary care immediately if the product was really expired, because you rather her get treated early before symptoms arise.

- Dr. H

I hope she does well. Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning your pet Lola?

- Dr. H

Ok I assume you are ok for now.
If you would please don't forget to leave me a rating for taking the time to assist you and your pet Lola with your concerns today. I hope everything works out well for you both. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day.

Best regards,

Dr. H

I see know expiration date on package but I think I bought it a year ago.Just to recap. No food for 12 hours. Start her off with bland diet. If ball is forming we'd see signs within 24 hours. Sign include lethargy,Vomiting, lack of stool. If that happens, seek vet immediately.Right?If that's right, no more questions. Thank you.

Yes. Also abdominal distention and pain may be seen if an obstruction occurs. And excessive vomiting, even water.

Best wishes.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet