PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an orphaned raccoon that I have had for 2 weeks. His

Customer Question

I have an orphaned raccoon that I have had for 2 weeks. His eyes opened a week ago. I weighed him Tuesday and he weighed 660g, We've been feeding him 37-40 ml 4 times per day. He pooped normal yesterday at noon. But only popped 3 rabbit sized pebbles last night. I'm worried that he is not pooping enough. He is peeing fine, but needs to be stimulated each time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the raccoon?
Customer: Acts fine and is becoming active. I have been trying to stimulate him to poop with a warm cloth at each feeding. He was pooping 2 times per day on his own. Usually when we fed him. I rubbed his tummy whiled he was soaking in warm water, also. I'm just worried that he may be getting constipated. He is passing gas, I can smell that.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Where did he originally come from? Is he a wild animal or domestically produced?
2) What are you feeding him currently?
3) Is he eating to satiation or are you providing a only a certain amount of food per meal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in Kansas. He is wild. He was found on a farm. The mother had been killed. I am feeding him KMR. He is eating to where he is satisfied. I try to break it up. I'll make a bottle of 40 ml of formula. Feed him about half, let him play a few minutes. Then feed him more until he calms down and seems satisfied. We were doing this about 6:00 am, 11:00 a.m., 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 pm. If I try to feed him less than 37-40 ml, he crys and crys, so I think it is the right amount.

The ideal approach here is to find a wildlife rehab for him to go to. With him being wild there is always risk of intestinal parasites playing a role in his GI health and might explain the gas he's producing and constipation. Medically, I would urge you to have him examined and treated to address the suspect constipation but this raises another concern: It is illegal to sell or keep a raccoon as a pet in Kansas, even if you are a Good Samaritan trying to save its life. There may be a hefty fine associated with keeping him with a rehab license. There's a comprehensive list of KS wildlife rehabs here: http://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Rehabilitation

In the short term, you can add a few drops of oil (fish oil, coconut, olive, etc) to the formula to help soften the stool and allow him to go more easily. You should see benefits within 3-12 hours.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is the raccoon doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy