Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My daughters two pet mice have ended up being my pets as

Customer Question

My daughters two pet mice have ended up being my pets as always but they are both getting on a bit now and one of them is hunched and eyes shut breathing very rapidly and is very bony....what can I do to help the poor thing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the mouse's name and age?
Customer: Sorry don't know her name but she would be anywhere between eighteen months to 2/years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about but?
Customer: Not really they are kept in the same room as my sons cockatiels
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like this mouse likely has a respiratory infection and could greatly benefit from a course of antibiotics. It would be best if she saw a veterinarian for treatment. At 18-24 months, she is at the life expectancy for a mouse, also, so this may indicate an underlying medical concern that could be terminal. Do you already have a vet that sees your pet mice?