Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Wow - fast! new bunny rabbits - from feed store - probably

wow - fast ! new bunny rabbits - from feed store - probably had normal diet - granddaughter gave carrots and celery - 1 bunny a bit lethargic - other fine. Lethargic one has mucous in stool..........would this be diet caused - sudden change in food?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bunny rabbit. What is the bunny rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Rabbit is Hoppy - don't know age - young dwarf rabbit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rabbit?
Customer: noooooooooo, not really

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and Iwould like to help you today.

In this situation, we need to tread with care since rabbit GI's are so delicate. Now to see mucus in the stool along with lethargy, it could be related to a shock diet change but also can be seen with stress, bacterial overgrowth, parasites, and even as an early stage sign of gastric stasis. With this all in mind, make sure these bunnies are on hay (50-70%) and a pelleted diet (25% of the diet). Veggies can be added slowly and gradually one by one to make sure we don't overload and stress the GI. So, she needs to take a step back diet wise and perhaps increase their hay ration. As well, given what we are seeing here, it would be ideal to use a OTC rabbit probiotic (ie Biolapis, Fibreplex Benebac, etc). Many pet stores, vets and even sites like Amazon carry these and they can help restore normal gut bacterial levels and help with abnormal stool. Of course, if this Hoppy goes off food (a rabbit emergency) or these stools don't settle with 24-48 hours, then we'd want him seen +/- a stool sample tested for those other concerns to ensure we nip them in the bud.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Kind regards,

Dr.B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me –I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I will pick up recommended meds and see how it goes. If I may - one other question. Is it necessary to take bunnies to vet once a month to have teeth 'clipped' ?

Hello again,

Generally speaking if we have rabbits with good dental alignment, we don't need their teeth clipped at all. The coarse hay and hard veggies (+/- chew toys) tend to help them wear their teeth down. So, a healthy rabbit with normal teeth doesn't need clipping intervention. Of course, we see a lot of bad breeding and rabbits with misaligned teeth and it is those poor wee ones that tend to need that type of care. So, we'd just want to keep an eye that both eat well, don't just focus on soft foods, have no drooling (or a wet chin), mouth discomfort, or teeth grinding (a pain sign). If we did see those signs, then we'd want their teeth checked but hopefully they won't have any issues with their teeth.

Best wishes,

Dr.B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many, many thanks. ***** !!
You are very welcome, my dear. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.