How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Drhollowayvet Your Own Question
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 882
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Drhollowayvet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She just ate Hershey's almond bar... guessing about a 1/4

This answer was rated:

She just ate Hershey's almond bar... guessing about a 1/4 and she weighs 12lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly about 3 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: No, but it was a little larger than a regular size bar

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Molly ingested 1/4 of an almond bar with Almonds. Chocolate is toxic to pets in large enough amounts, so let me see if the amount she ate was enough to cause concerns for her.

Can you please give me the exact weight of the chocolate bar she ate. It should be written right on the package. I need this information to calculate if the amount eaten was enough to cause toxicity concerns. Thank you.

- Dr. H

The size of the bar should be written right on the package and should be in ounces usually.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry but I cannot find that on the rapper it just says king size. The best way I can describe it is a normal size chocolate bar only thicker.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's 2.6 oz

Ok. Thank you. GIve me one moment to calculate if this is a toxic dose. I will have an answer in less than 5 mins

Ok. So good news. The amount ingested was around 0.65 ounces. That is 1/4th of a 2.6 oz bar. For a pet weighing 12lbs that is not even close to being a toxic dose. Molly should be just fine. I don't even expect any GI (upset stomach issues) with this low of a dosage. No treatment is needed for her at this time. She will be just fine.

Also the almonds aren't a concern either. Only bitter almonds are toxin in pest and these were sweet almonds.

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight concerning your pet Molly?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No and thank you.

You are very welcome. I am glad that your fur baby will be ok. Thanks for using Justanswer and take care now.

*Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided for you and your pet tonight. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Drhollowayvet and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet