Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

He is breathing heavy has watery eyes, guinea pig, patch, we…

Customer Question
He is breathing heavy...

He is breathing heavy has watery eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Guinea pig

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Patch

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is patch?

We purchased him last year from the pets at home he was just ready to leave the litter I'm unsure how old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about patch?

He is a very good water especially with hay but for the past 2 days he's been off his food which is unlike him

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
eater not water it's auto correct sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is quite constipated to
4/1/2017
Pet Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

I am sorry to hear that Patches is having difficulty breathing. In Guinea pigs, it is very important that they have additional vitamin C daily. They are predisposed to infections, dermatitis and other issues if their vitamin C levels are low. Patch should be given an additional 25-50 mg of vitamin C daily, even if his food says that it contains C. Respiratory issues can be a sign of irritation due to aromatic oils in the bedding. Pine and cedar shavings should not be used due to the potential for respiratory difficulty. Care fresh is a great bedding. The other possibilities are pneumonia, pulmonary abscess or cancer. Ideally Patch needs to be taken to a local veterinarian for chest X-rays and medications. They will also check his teeth, because it is not uncommon for guinea pigs to develop dental disease. Please ask any follow up questions. If you do not have a local veterinarian who sees exotics, then please post your city and state and I will help you find someone. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill