Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Veterinarian
97758537

Welton, My friend's cat was just diagnosed with advanced

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Welton,
My friend's cat was just diagnosed with advanced liver disease after undergoing tests and a sonogram. It seems she has multiple cysts that have invaded her liver and have also pushed her stomach in an abnormal position... she is also jaundice. She's been hospitalized and they are waiting for her blood test results tomorrow and have started flushing her with fluids and I believe they are starting her on meds as well. From what the doctor says.. the kitty's future is bleak because of these cysts that cannot be removed or reduced. The cannot drain them and they can also rupture... but right now they are causing problems to the liver. I'm wondering if there is anyway the cysts can shrink? Maybe some kind of homeopathic remedy? Really grasping at straws because my friend is beyond devastated. The Vet. said that if the blood tests results are really bad, the kitty should just be put down. The kitty is bright eyed and alert.. was playing just 3 days ago.. but she's not eating and has lost weight. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Kelly Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** am a veterinarian and would love to help you today. Dr. Welton is not available at the moment but I can certainly answer your question.

I'm so sorry about your friend's kitty. There is a not a chance that the cysts will shrink without surgery and depending on where they are located, surgery may not be an option. Also, some of the cysts can be cancerous in origin, so drainage of that type of cyst would be a very short term fix.

When kitties don't eat and are having problems with their liver they can also develop something called hepatic lipidosis - another liver problem. I guess the next step if you wanted to see if there are more options would be to go to an internal medicine specialist or to a surgeon.

I would wait and see what the blood tests show, maybe some great improvements can be made with the fluids! Some cysts do not cause any issues and we can leave them alone and just monitor but it sounds like this kitty is becoming affected by them.

Feel free to post any bloodwork results when you get them.

I wish you both all the best. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating, it is the only way I am compensated. If not or you have more questions, please reply so l can continue to help you. Thank you.