Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My rabbit had a litter yesterday morning and is now building

Customer Question

My rabbit had a litter yesterday morning and is now building another nest
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your rabbit?
Customer: She had a litter of 4 yesterday morning and is now frantically building another nest. Is this normal?
JA: Where does your rabbit seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem hurt. I'm wondering why she is building another nest
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 months old. She was sexed wrong and was with another male. We didn't know until her sister (wrongly sexed also) gave birth 4 days ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankie?
Customer: No she's a very healthy and sweet
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We put a second nesting box in with her (she is a house rabbit) to see if she'd leave the other one alone. She keeps jumping in and out of the one with the babies in it.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits.With first time moms, almost anything can happen. Many times, they give birth on the floor without even building a nest at all. Sometimes they even kill their babies. So, Frankie is doing quite well so far. Her behavior is not common, but also not abnormal for a rabbit with her first litter. There may be something about the first nest she doesn't like. She may want to put part of the litter in one nest, and part in another one. There's no way to know what's in her mind. The best thing to do is leave her alone. The more we humans interfere, the more likely something is to go wrong.If she gets in the new nest, and seems to be straining, it's possible she still has a baby in her uterus. If that happens, watch to make sure she is ok. If it doesn't go smoothly, you'll need to take her to a vet. This situation is not common, so don't worry. I just want you to be aware of the possibility.It's normal for rabbits to only feed their babies once or twice a day, usually in the middle of the night, so don't worry if you don't see her feeding them. Do make sure the adult rabbits each have their own quarters. Adults may kill babies that aren't their own.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Frankie will settle down quickly.Anna
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible that she was pregnant with 2 litters? Since I was unaware of her being a female I cannot be sure how many times they mated
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
It is possible, but unlikely. I have only seen this happen once in many years. Most females will not let a male breed with them once they are pregnant. Unlike humans, rabbits know right away. But, Frankie is an inexperienced first-time mom, so you never know. I would disturb her as little as possible, and continue to monitor the situation.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm checking to see how Frankie and her babies are doing. Do you need any more information?

Anna