Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I believe my dog. by all the symptoms has Ivdd he is in

Customer Question

Hi I believe my dog. by all the symptoms has Ivdd he is in Terrible pain he can't move at all nor walk yesterday I went to emergency vet they also think that they gave him steroids shut and pain killer but it helped him only for 2 hours now they telling me to se a neurologist but is it worth it for him to suffer before probably I will have to put him to sleep?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: They propose to make an mri and surgery for his spine but yesterday when they examine him his bag legs are no longer in function of a spinal dick rupture
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am sorry to hear about Coco.

IVDD is treatable The Veterinary Neurologist can help make a decision on what best course of treatment. With the surgery. After surgery there will be recovery, but also physical therapy to strengthen Coco. If he does not recover the use of the legs he can still have an active long life using a doggie wheel chair called Waggin Wheels. IVDD is bad but treatable to aleviate the pain and still allow the dog to live. The ER Vets were good with what they did to assist him with pain and swelling.

This is a Link to read more about IVDD, Invertebratal Disc Disease: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Intervertebral-

Disk-Disease/Treatment.aspx

I know all seems bad now, but generally the prognosis is good and pain can be controlled with medication. There are so many new treatments for IVDD that go along with the surgery.

I would speak with the Veterinary Neurologist and see what plan of action they come up with before making any decisions.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this information by hitting Reply.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

You are so welcome. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated bt the site for my time and answers..

Happy Holidays.

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All this I knew by my self
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

Did you have further concerns or questions I could address?

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thanks again
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

If not happy with information, please do not rate and I will opt out and open this for other Experts to assist you. a Negative rating will go against my record.

I hope Coco will feel better and all will be resolved.

Joan