Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

I have a male dog who has been around my female in heat but

Customer Question

I have a male dog who has been around my female in heat but we've kept them separated because we don't want her bred. However, all of the sudden he started bleeding from what appears to be inside the foreskin area. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I've been breeding for over 20 years so I'm very familiar with the breeding and whelping process as well.

Bleeding from the penis could indicate an injury to the penis, a prostrate problem, blood in the urine or be a sign that there is a female in heat around. Since you absolutely have a female in heat, that is the likely cause.

it is not unusual for an intact male dog to shed a few drops of blood from his penis when he is aware of females in heat. So if the bleeding is just a few drops, then you do not need to worry about it. If it is a larger amount, you will want to have your dog examined by your vet.

If it is more than just a little blood, you might want to have him checked for a uti. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

I hope this eases your mind. and this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.