Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

7 month old male Lionhead rabbit. Pulling fur out to the

Customer Question
7 month old male Lionhead...
7 month old male Lionhead rabbit. Pulling fur out to the extent of big bald patches and bruising around his penis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Herschel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Herschel?
Customer: Passed a large blood clot earlier
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
11/23/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear that Herschel is having some problems. These symptoms are worrisome, and may indicate more than one condition occurring at once. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Is there any swelling in the penis area?Was the blood clot in his urine or his feces?What do you feed him?What kind of litter/bedding do you use?Is his appetite normal?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Penis is slightly swollen with hematoma around the area
Clot was from his penis
Poop looks normal
Skin is pink with no dry areas or itching noted
Feed him unlimited rabbit pellets and offer Timothy hay, but he doesn't usually eat it
Occasional veggies and greens
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fleece bedding with litter box
Doesn't seem to be lethargic or listless
Eyes look bright
Symptoms appeared today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Recent slightly aggressive behavior. Never been bred
Thank you for such thorough information. I am very concerned about these symptoms, even more so since they began so suddenly. I suspect the hair pulling is due to the fact that his genital area is causing pain and/ or itching. Rabbits will bite and scratch an area that is causing irritation.It is likely that he has an infection or that he has somehow injured the inside of his penis. A severe urinary tract infection can cause blood clots to pass, as. Can stones or crystals. I asked about bedding because some of them, especially cedar or pine, can cause irritation, but the one you're using should not.I know you would like a home remedy, and I would like to give you one, but this is not a situation where there is one. Herschel is going to need a vet. Even if his condition isn't life threatening in itself, the fact that it is irritating him to the point that he is injuring himself could be. The hair pulling could result in bleeding or internal injury.I know this is a bad time for a vet visit. Do you have a regular vet? If not, give me your location and I'll try to find one for you. If you happen to live in the Mountain or Pacific time zone, it shouldn't be hard to find a vet who is still open for the day. I do think that waiting until after the long weekend is too long to wait.Anna
I also wanted to mention possible causes for the recent slightly aggressive behavior. Herschel is still in the phase of developing sexual maturity, and sometimes rabbits become a bit aggressive then. However, if he had been in pain, that can also result in aggression.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am so super embarrassed...my daughter just found babies
Oh, my gosh. That changes everything. Are the babies alive? Are they in a nest made of rabbit fur?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep to both
Good. Female rabbits pull out their own hair to make a nest, but it sounds like she got a bit carried away. If she has now stopped pulling out the hair, it would be best to not disturb her. If there is another rabbit in with her ( I assume a male), it is important to take him out. Father rabbits have been known to kill their own babies.The most important thing now is to leave the little family alone. Mother rabbits only feed their babies once or twice per 24 hours, usually in the middle of the night. Many people think the mothers have abandoned the babies, but they simply don't pay much attention to them. In nature, this has a survival advantage. An adult rabbit produces a stronger scent than do newborns, so the less time the mother spends with the babies, the less likely they are to be found by predators.More in a moment....
The reason we want to leave the family alone is that mother rabbits,me specially first-time mothers, are touchy. If they feel the babies are threatened, they may kill them. Do keep an eye that Herschel is not passing more blood clots. It may have been a normal part of the birth process, but if any more are passed, it could indicate a complication, such as an unborn baby still inside. That would call for a vet visit. I hope that won't be the case. Make sure Herschel has all the hay and pellets she wants, and plenty of fresh water. She will need these things to produce milk. Other than that and keeping an eye on her, try to disturb the. As little as possible over these first few days.The babies will become livelier with each day. At about ten days, their eyes will open. Around two to three weeks, they'll start leaving the nest to hop and play. Then they'll begin nibbling on food. You can start gently handling them to tame them. They can be very quick at this age, so be careful not to let them escape and fall. It's best to leave them with mom until they are 6 weeks old.It is not unusual for a baby or two in a litter to die during the first two weeks. That doesn't mean you or Herschel did anything wrong. It's just a normal part of rabbit raising. It doesn't always happen, but if it does, simply remove the little one that has passed.Don't be embarrassed. It's very difficult to sex rabbits. I've even seen rabbit show judges and breeders get it wrong. I'm just glad your daughter discovered what happened before we rushed Herschel off to a vet.If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you success in raising the little family.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Thank you for sharing. They look nice and healthy.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist