Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

His name is Kikou. A two year old male rex rabbit. Thank you

Customer Question
Hi. His name is Kikou JA...
Hi. His name is Kikou
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A two year old male rex rabbit
JA: OK. I'm sure Kikou feels you are doing your best. What seems to be the problem with Kikou?
Customer: Thank you :) So he recently underwent a surgery
JA: Where does Kikou seem to hurt?
Customer: Where he had his testicles removed
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: A day before the surgery his head started to tilt so I thought that it might be because he was weak Kikou was actually suffering from severe infection in the testicles
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Kikou can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kikou?
Customer: No. But even after the surgery his head is still tilting and that worries me a lot
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Pet
11/23/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hello Dr. Salkin

I'm sorry to hear of this with Kikou. The two most important considerations when a head tilt is seen in pet rabbits are infection by the bacterium Pasteurella and by the microsporidium parasite Encephalitizoon cuniculi. Pasteurella can also infect the testicles as well as most every body system of rabbits. The diagnosis of E. cuniculi is difficult and so we'll presumptively treat as if it's present with fenbendazole dosed at 20 mg/kg daily for 30 days which should eliminate the E. cuniculi spores from Kikou. Various treatment options for Pasteurella are reported in the literature. Infection was eliminated in 7 of 8 rabbits treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril) at 5mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours for 14 days. Enrofloxacin given in the drinking water (50-100mg/L) for two weeks was similarly effective if our rabbits drank enough so that the daily intake of the drug was greater than 5mg/kg. Ciprofloxacin (20mg/kg) by mouth daily for 5 days eliminated infection in groups of rabbits in studies. Finally, one researcher reported success in control of chronic cases of confirmed pasteurellosis using enrofloxacin (5-10mg/kg orally every 12 hours) or chloramphenicol (50mg/kg orally every 12 hours) for up to 2-3 months.

Please feel free to share our conversation with your vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hello Dr. Salkin,
Really sorry for the late reply.
It's been a week now since Kikou was operated and even though he has been given antibiotics, he is still weak and has his head tilted.
The vet said it would take some time gor Kikou to get better.
But in the meanwhile, could you suggest me some foods that I could give him to give him energy.Thanking you in advance,
Deeya.E

Deeya, rabbits will do well on alfalfa pellets + grass hay + fresh greens. Supplementing a low fiber alfalfa diet with fresh grass, timothy or other hay, and a variety of vegetables is important. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian