Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

I just got back from a 2-wk vacation & Zoe, my 16 & 1/2 year

Customer Question

I just got back from a 2-wk vacation & Zoe, my 16 & 1/2 year old cat is crying - she has recently been pooping outside the litterbox- even when both litterboxes are completely clean. She just threw up, is not steady on her feet, & her nose is dry (dehydration), so I just gave her a couple of syringes of water & ACV. I'm planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow (in ~ 8 hours since it's past midnight). Meds: Methimazole 5mg - 1/2 tab 2x/day (thyroid), & Rx renal diet, but she is resisting eating 3 different renal diet canned food. I realize that she may be at the end stage of her life, but I want to help her the best I can now.
1) Other than a UTI (which may be most likely), could these symptoms be anything else?
2) Is there anything I could try in the next 8 hours to help alleviate any pain or symptoms in the meantime until I can get to the vet?
3) Would you recommend not waiting the 8 hours instead, and taking her immediately to the emergency vet? (I'm concerned about the cost, but will do it if you think she's at risk of immediate death).
Thank you in advance for your assistance,
***** *****on
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Barbara.

I'm sorry Zoe isn't feeling well.

Because you were away for 2 weeks, it's difficult for you to guess (and for me to guess) at what's causing Zoe's discomfort. Do you see her going into the litterbox frequently, straining to urinate and then nothing happens? That would be a sign of a UTI

She may not have eaten properly because she missed you and/or she may not have gotten her methimazole every day, while you were away, so due to her advanced age, current medical conditions and symptoms she's exhibiting, I'd advise you to bring her to the ER vet. I realize it's expensive, too, but if you apply for Care Credit, you might not have to pay anything tonight. It's a credit card for human health, dental, veterinary services, etc. Some plans may even have no interest for a short while, then you start making installment payments. Here's more information about Care Credit:

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

--------------

I hope all will be well with Zoe and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hi again, Barbara.

Just checking in to see how things are going with Zoe. Were you able to have her seen by a vet to find out the problem? I hope she's doing much better, today.

Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know. Thanks!

If you need any additional information, just click 'Reply to Expert,' and I will always be here for you and Zoe.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Barbara.

I'm just following up with you to see how Zoe is feeling. I hope things have improved!

Please let me know if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher