Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

The Xanax has done wonders; she plays and wags her tail.

Hi, The Xanax has done...
Hi, The Xanax has done wonders; she plays and wags her tail. BUT... she is peeing and pooping still. I can't put the crate near the door because of the way our door is in r/t the furniture. Marley seems to LOVE to stay out on the back porch; it's screened in and has furniture on it. She poops in there sometimes, too. When she pees or poops I put it out in the yard. I say good dog! give a puppy treat... she does NOT pee in her crate unless she has some submissive urination. Is there submissive pooping too? I asked the vet to add a touch of Prozac as she still seems sad and is so skittish with sounds, vibration on the floor, when I fold sheets,etc. She is still not coming when called but occasionally if she thinks I will play with her, getting on the floor, she comes. She is eating well, drinking well. The Xanax is not slowing her down any.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2016
Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I see that you are dealing with a lot of issues. Personally I believe in strict crate training for dogs which means they stay in the crate all the time except to go out to eliminate and if they do eliminate outside they then get a reward of some free time outside of the crate. If they don't eliminate, back in the crate for about an hour and try again. This is the most effective way of house training.

Now that she is more used to being in your home, house training may go easier. Now it is important that you clean any place she has eliminated with a good enzymatic pet odor remove. If carpet, you have to let it soak into the padding to remove all the odor. INporous floors it also needs to sit for a little while. If you don't use an enzymatic cleanser, some odor remains and the dog will be drawn back to that spot to eliminate again. So eliminating odors is very important. If you want you can also try leashing her to you the whole time she is outside of the crate so you can stop her eliminating inside and take her out at the first sign of her needing to eliminate.

One suggestion would be to start feeding and watering her on a schedule. Keep a log of when you feed her and give her water. also keep a log of when she defecates or urinates. Soon you will see a pattern develop as to how long after eating or drinking he eliminates. This will allow you to either be sure she is outside when she needs to eliminate or move her meal time so the time she would need to eliminate is more convenient for you.

Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. Always go out with her. If she urinates outside, the minute she starts, reward her with a hot dog sliver as a reward. If she manages to defecate outside, reward immediately as well. Soon she will try to go just to get the reward. Another reason to go out with your dog each time.

Some dogs like being outside and if an owner brings them inside after they eliminate, they will try and "hold it" so they can have more time outside. A nice daily walk or two at the same times each day will often have the desired effect of the dog eliminating on the walks rather than inside especially if the odor is removed. Making after elimination a play time can also be conductive to house training.

Now I notice you stated she has noise issues. This is really a common problem. Many dogs have reactions to different noises. This is really a problem around the 4th of July and fireworks. For things like thunderstorms, some people tape the noise and play it back at lower volumes while playing with the dog and providing positive reinforcement for the dog's lack of anxiety while the noise is played at low volumes. Positive reinforcement would include calm praise and hot dog slices or other tasty treat (not regular treats. You then gradually increase the volume slowly until your dog is desensitized to the noise. Xanax is often used for noise phobias so I'm glad it has helped.

.

DAP collars might help a bit as well. They produce pheromones that mimic the ones produced by a nursing mom to calm her pups. It has proven to be helpful with noise phobias and separation anxiety as well but was used in conjunction with desensitization so it is unknown if the collar or the training was the major factor in resolving the problem.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Did you read her history, in my first questions, of being a mill dog that lived in a crate for 2 years? Isn't it cruel to keep her in a crate still? We usually have a leash on her but she was tied to something while I ran inside for 2 minutes.I got about 10 feet from her and she bolted, became airborne and then came down. She will not go outside with a leash on now. We have another little girl who is 4; she sits at the back door, the bell didn't work with her. :)

It is not cruel to crate her for house training purposes. Remember to her, the crate was her place. It was a place she felt comfortable in. Getting out of the crate and running around is the reward. It isn't like you are going to keep her crated once she starts eliminating outside. You are also going to be rewarding the behavior when she goes outside. She should learn pretty quickly especially if you clean all the old odors up and keep it clean.

You keep the leash on her. Make it a very short one so it doesn't get tangled up. I'm not sure what you mean about she won't go out on a leash. While I don't normally advocate picking a dog up and making them go outside, In this case, I would pick her up and take her outside with the leash on. If she feels refusing to move on the leash will get her out of going outside, she will keep doing it. Dogs are opportunistic creatures and if they can control you , they will. I'd still try the bell. Just because it doesn't work on one dog doesn't mean it won't work with another. I have one that rings the bell and another that barks and one that sits and stares at me and cats that runt toward the door and back again all are a little different but most do respond good to a bell.